Back with a new challenge: Daring Cooker's Gnocchi

Hooray!!
I'm back from non-blogging life, I missed this sooo much. Some expected changes did come sloooooowly and others simple didn't.

And I happy my first recipe here is from the brand new Daring Cooks challenge, though I'm a bit late I know...

As some of you already know, and if not I tell you, the great group The Daring Bakers released a brand new web a couple of months ago (The Daring Kitchen). And in a kitchen you bake, but you do cook also, so this month a new group is born: The Daring Cooks.

Lis from La Mia Cucina and Ivone from Cream Puffs from Venice the founders are the proud hosts of the very first Daring Cooks challenge: Ricotta Gnocchi...

This time though I've chosen the alternative challenge, so I cooked vegan Gnocchi di Patate. I did this recipe for a lunch I had last week with some vegetarian friends, one of them has soy allergy. My first idea was to use tofu instead of ricotta, but then remembered my friend's allergy so I opted for traditional gnocchi.

I want to thank Shelly from Musings From The Fishbowl for her piece of advice.

Here's my gnocchi recipe (I used a recipe from Italian web Vegan 3000)

What (serves 4 or 5):
- 1 kg potatoes
- 300 gr wheat flour
- salt

How:
  • Peel the potatoes (cut them in pieces if they're big potatoes)
  • Boil potato pieces in salted water.
  • Drain and cool them, and mash with a potato masher.
  • Add flour slowly and hand mix until you get a compact dough. Take care not to add to much flour, as dough will be very difficult to work with.
  • Slice the dough and roll every slice until you get a long and thin roll.
  • Cut every roll in small dices.
  • Bring the water back to the boil and drop the gnocchi into the water one by one.
  • Once they float to the top, cook them for 3 to 5 minutes.
  • Remove with a slotted spoon.

I served my gnocchi with an almond spicy sauce (crush some almonds, and mix with some olive oil and some drops of spicy oil)


2 comments:

Audax Artifex said...

Nice looking gnocchi and good to see you again from non-blogging life!!!! And spicy almond sauce sounds so delishish. Wonderful of you to consider your friends food desires. Great effort on this the 1st Dcooks' challenge. Cheers from Audax in Australia.

Ivy said...

Welcome back Olga. These sound delicious especially with the almond sauce on top.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin